Power Outages Are On The Rise. Is Your Equipment Protected?
Inside Energy reporter Jordan Wirfs-Brock found a disturbing trend when she, a few years ago, analyzed United States Department of Energy power outage data from 2000 to 2014.
Her efforts revealed that outages — including weather-related outages — across the country were rising rapidly due to aging electrical infrastructure, a growing population and more frequent extreme weather. Combined, all were were straining the country’s electrical grid, according to her summary article.
Wirfs-Brock’s data came from the Inside Energy grid disruption database, which Inside Energy compiled and standardized from annual data available at from the U.S. Department of Energy.
The numbers she discovered are startling, too.
According to her analysis, the five-year annual average of outages doubled every five years, meaning the latest year in her report (2014) was four times what it was the 15 years before that.
Here is some of the interesting data found from her investigation.
- 2000-2004: 44 reported grid outages per year, on average
- 2005-2009: 100 reported grid outages per year, on average
- 2010-2014: 200 reported grid outages per year, on average
- 2000: 2.5 grid disruption events per month
- 2013: 14.5 grid disruption events per month (a 6-fold increase over 2000)
- 2011 had the most reported disruptions, an average of 25.6 per month
- There were 19 weather-related grid disruptions that affected more than 1,000,000 customers (8 hurricanes, 3 winter storms)
- June is the most common month for severe weather outages, followed by August and July.
Are you protected?
So the questions now become…
- Are you prepared for a significant outage?
- Is your critical IT gear backed up by a reliable UPS system?
- Will your current UPS system last long enough for an emergency generator power to kick on, or allow you to safely shut down systems without breakage or data loss?
If you’re unsure, call to our N1 Critical Technologies Sales Engineers (855-208-0011) who can tell you about the many benefits of having a Lithium-Ion UPS system protect your critical gear. Or, explore our online shop on your own and buy what we believe are the very best UPS systems on the market.
- Longer lasting batteries.
- More minutes of runtime.
- More power.
- Eliminate battery replacement and maintenance.
- More recharge cycles.
- Higher operating temperature tolerances.
- Smaller footprint.
- And much more!
N1 Critical Technologies is a leading manufacturer and retailer of lithium-ion based Uninterruptible Power Supply Systems, with a full lineup of single-phase systems from 1-10 kVA and runtimes up to 25 minutes on a full load (2.2 kVA models). See store products for details.
Here’s a map of outages from 2000-2014 that was embedded from the Inside Energy website:
Tips for understanding the map:
- The slider at the bottom shows the month and year. You can pause it or skip forward/backward.
- Locations are shown as the center of the state where the outage occurred – even though the outage could have covered only part of a state, or several states.
- Larger, darker points represents power outages that affected more people – up to 4.6 million lost power in the largest reported grid disruption event.